Monday, May 4, 2009

Musings of a Grandmother

I'm not sure what a "grandmother" should look like or feel like. My grandmother was quite old when I was born and when I knew her. I don't feel "old." I have seen grandmothers who look quite young. I don't look quite young. I am just me (I remember saying that as a child, usually when someone was trying to decide who I looked like & I insisted I looked like me!).

The reasons for my musings? Well, first I have been a grandmother for nearly 6 years, & while I like it when Maggie, my oldest granddaughter, calls me "Grandma GG" or just "GG" I'm still getting used to being a grandmother.

Also, today as I turn 66 I wonder. What should I feel like at 66? I surely don't know. I don't feel much different from when we moved to Arcade when I was 38, though I know I am different. I look different -- my face is older, my hair is working toward gray, and I guess I can't do quite all of what I could then, or at least not as fast. But really, I just don't feel that much different. I still walk, ride my bike, go to Curves and exercise 3 times a week. I would like to exercise more, but at least I am continuing to do it. I work two jobs, both part-time, though between the two, it probably amounts to full time work.

I admit to getting "older" but certainly not be being "old." I have seen some people my age, and some even younger, who seem to be and act old. I look at them and know that I am not like that, not yet, and maybe not ever.

As long as I can keep a positive attitude, most of the time, and learn something new every day, most of the time, I don't think I'll feel "old." That is what I intend to do.

My musings will be continued on another page. See the link to A Grandmother's Musings.

1 comment:

Barbara Comstock-King said...

You're not old to me, either! Love you!!